used to introduce an explanation of something换句话说;也就是说;换言之
They asked him to leave—in other words he was fired.他们请他走人,也就是说,他被解雇了。
They're letting me go—in other words, I've been sacked.他们让我走人。换句话说,我被解雇了。
Language Bank i.e.i.e.Explaining what you mean解释意思
Some poems are mnemonics, i.e. they are designed to help you remember something.有些诗歌是记忆代码,即是说,其目的是帮助人们记起某事。
Some poems are mnemonics, that is to say, they are designed to help you remember something.有些诗歌是记忆代码,就是说,其目的是帮助人们记起某事。
Mnemonic poems, that is poems designed to help you remember something, are an excellent way to learn lists. 记事诗,即帮助人记起事情的诗歌,是记住一系列事物的极佳方式。
A limerick’s rhyme scheme is A–A–B–B–A. In other words, the first, second, and fifth lines all rhyme with one another, while the third and fourth lines have their own rhyme.五行打油诗的韵律是 A-A-B-B-A。就是说,第一行、第二行和第五行押一个韵,而第三行和第四行押另一个韵。
In this exercise the reader is encouraged to work out the meaning, or rather the range of meanings, of the poem.这个练习鼓励读者弄清这首诗的意思,更确切地说是弄清其几种含意。
This is a poem about death, or, more precisely, dying.这是一首关于死亡的诗,更确切地说是关于临终的诗。
He says his poems deal with ‘the big issues’, by which he means love, loss, grief and death.他说他的诗涉及一些 “重大问题”,这些问题是指爱、失去、痛苦和死亡。