- used for referring to a person or thing that is not near the speaker, or not as near to the speaker as another(指较远的人或事物)那,那个
- Who's that?那是谁?
- That's Peter over there.那边那个人是彼得。
- (British English) Hello. Is that Jo? (= when speaking on the phone) 喂,是乔吗?In (North American English) say Is this Jo?
- That's a nice dress.那件连衣裙很漂亮。
- Those look riper than these.那些看上去比这些熟一些。
- used for referring to somebody/something that has already been mentioned, or is already known about(指已提到过或已知的人或事物)那,那个
- What can I do about that?这事我可怎么办?
- Do you remember when we went to Norway? That was a good trip.你记得我们去挪威的情形吗?那次旅行真不错。
- That's exactly what I think.我正是那么想的。
- (formal) used for referring to people or things of a particular type(特指)那,那种,那些
- Those present were in favour of change.在座的人都赞成变革。
- There are those who say (= some people say) she should not have got the job.有些人说她本不该得到这份工作。
- Salaries are higher here than those in my country.这里的薪水比我国的高。
-
(plural that)
used as a relative pronoun to introduce a part of a sentence which refers to the person, thing or time you have been talking about(用作关系代词,引导从句)- Where's the letter that came yesterday?昨天来的信在哪儿?
- Who was it that won the US Open?在美国公开赛上获胜的是谁?
- The watch (that) you gave me keeps perfect time.您给我的那只表走得很准。
- The people (that) I spoke to were very helpful.我交谈过的人都很肯帮忙。
- It’s the best novel (that) I’ve ever read.这是我读过的最佳小说。
- We moved here the year (that) my mother died.我们是我母亲去世那年搬来的。
In spoken and informal written English that is nearly always left out when it is not the subject of the verb. Word OriginOld English thæt, nominative and accusative singular neuter of se ‘the’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch dat and German das.
Idioms - (British English, informal) and everything else connected with an activity, a situation, etc.等等;以及诸如此类的事物 synonym and so forth
- Did you bring the contract and (all) that?合同什么的你都带来了吗?
- used to say what something means or to give more information也就是说;即;换句话说
- He's a local government administrator, that is to say a civil servant.他是地方政府的行政官员,也就是公务员。
- You'll find her very helpful—if she's not too busy, that is.你会觉得她很肯帮忙,那是说如果她不太忙的话。
Language Bank i.e.i.e.Explaining what you mean解释意思- Some poems are mnemonics, i.e. they are designed to help you remember something.有些诗歌是记忆代码,即是说,其目的是帮助人们记起某事。
- Some poems are mnemonics, that is to say, they are designed to help you remember something.有些诗歌是记忆代码,就是说,其目的是帮助人们记起某事。
- Mnemonic poems, that is poems designed to help you remember something, are an excellent way to learn lists. 记事诗,即帮助人记起事情的诗歌,是记住一系列事物的极佳方式。
- A limerick’s rhyme scheme is A–A–B–B–A. In other words, the first, second, and fifth lines all rhyme with one another, while the third and fourth lines have their own rhyme.五行打油诗的韵律是 A-A-B-B-A。就是说,第一行、第二行和第五行押一个韵,而第三行和第四行押另一个韵。
- In this exercise the reader is encouraged to work out the meaning, or rather the range of meanings, of the poem.这个练习鼓励读者弄清这首诗的意思,更确切地说是弄清其几种含意。
- This is a poem about death, or, more precisely, dying.这是一首关于死亡的诗,更确切地说是关于临终的诗。
- He says his poems deal with ‘the big issues’, by which he means love, loss, grief and death.他说他的诗涉及一些 “重大问题”,这些问题是指爱、失去、痛苦和死亡。
- used to say that somebody is right, or is doing something right(表示某人正确或做得对)就是这样,正是如此,对啦
- No, the other one… that’s it.不,另一个…就是它。
- That's it, carry on!对啦!继续!
- used to say that something is finished, or that no more can be done(表示已完成或再也没有可做的了)好了,就这样吧
- That's it, the fire's out now.好了,现在火灭了。
- That's it for now, but if I get any news I'll let you know.现在就这些,如果再得到消息,我就通知你。
- A week to go, and that's it!还有一周,然后就完事了!
- used to say that you will not accept something any longer(表示不再接受)行了,够了
- That's it, I've had enough!够了,我受够了!
- used to talk about the reason for something(表示理由)就是这个问题,就是这么回事
- So that's it—the fuse had gone.问题就出在这里,保险丝烧断了。
- You don't love me any more, is that it?你不再爱我啦,是不是这样?
- (informal) used to say that your decision cannot be changed(表示决定不能更改)就是这样,就这样定了
- Well I'm not going, and that's that.好啦,我不去,就这么定了。
Topics Preferences and decisionsc2