- used to introduce the second part of a comparison(用以引出比较的第二部分)比
- I'm older than her.我比她年龄大。
- There was more whisky in it than soda.那里面的威士忌比苏打水多。
- He loves me more than you do.他比你更爱我。
- It was much better than I'd expected.这比我预料的要好得多。
- You should know better than to behave like that.你应当明白事理,不该那么不懂规矩。
- I'd rather email than phone, if that's OK by you.如果你认为可以的话,我想发电邮而不打电话。
- more/less/fewer, etc. than used for comparing amounts, numbers, distances, etc.(比较数量、距离等)多于,小于,少于
- It never takes more than an hour.所用的时间从不会超过一个小时。
- It's less than a mile to the beach.离海滩不足一英里远。
- There were fewer than twenty people there.那里有不到二十个人。
- used in expressions showing that one thing happens straight after another(表示一事紧跟另一事发生)就
- No sooner had I sat down than there was a loud knock on the door.我刚坐下就有人大声敲门。
- Hardly had we arrived than the problems started.我们刚到,问题就来了。
Word OriginOld English than(ne), thon(ne), thænne, originally the same word as then.
Idioms other than usually used in negative sentences通常用于否定句
- except除…以外
- I don't know any French people other than you.除了你,我不认识别的法国人。
- We're going away in June but other than that I'll be here all summer.我们六月份外出;除此以外,我整个夏天都在这里。
- (formal) different or in a different way from; not不同;不同于;不
- I have never known him to behave other than selfishly.我从没见过他不自私。